Sunday, October 23, 2011

Liberian Adventure

Naomi and I enjoy the half hour of sun between storms on Saturday.

Wednesday I had the opportunity to leave the beach for the day and go to civilization. The owner of the restaurant we eat at 4 times a week (Rossi), the owner of another restaurant called the Pizzatree (Andre) and I dropped two ladies who were housesitting off at the airport.

We left San Miguel at 7:00am and drove up to Nicoya and dropped Andre off so he could do his shopping there and we continued to drive another 1.5 hours to Liberia (this is the direction of my parents property). When we got there Rossi took us to a souvenir shop so the ladies could bring things back to the states for their family. I looked around but felt the souvenirs there looked like they were cheaply made and way too expensive so I will be saving my shopping for later. Then we got to the airport and dropped the ladies off and continued a half hour north to an actually shopping center.

When we got to the shopping center I had a list of things to get for all the Pretoma volunteers as well as a list of things I needed. One of the things was anti-itch cream for all the bug bites everyone has. I ran into the pharmacy and showed them my legs and said I needed something for the bites. They sold me a tube of cream for $8 but when we got back on the road I was looking at it and realized the active ingredient was lidocane. That’s the same thing that was used to numb my head in January when I had to get staples in it. So needless to say it works great, you can't even feel the part of your body you rubbed the cream on or the finger used for a couple hours!

Our adventure continued to a cute Italian food supplier and Rossi bought all sorts of cheeses which of course means I am even more excited for this weekends meals! Then back to Nicoya to pick up Andre and onto Samara to say a quick hello to Rossi's friend.

As we were nearing home the sun was just about to set, so Rossi took us up to his rancho up on the hill where you can see every beach for 40 kms. It was gorgeous! When we got up there the sunset was beautiful and the first one I had seen for almost 3 weeks (its been too dark and rainy to see anything).

Maddie, Naomi, Hannah and Me enjoying a much needed
break on Saturday at The Flying Scorpion
I ended up making it home just in time of dinner at 6:30 and right after dinner Amanda, Rossi's fiancĂ©e and my good friend, called and told me since it was my night off she made me a Margarita with fresh squeezed lime juice.  So I ran back to the restaurant and hung out with Amanda for a couple hours.

As for the seaturtles…. The hatchlings are finally slowing down. We had a week and a half where we were releasing 600 + babies every single night, that’s about 7 nests hatching each night. Now we are back to 1 or 2 nests which is nice because we have been having so many nesting turtles too.

No comments:

Post a Comment